This flavorful SGT. Hart’s BBQ Brunswick Stew combines the best of Southern cooking traditions with the delicious tang of SGT. Hart’s BBQ Sauce. It’s a perfect meal to enjoy with family and friends!
• 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
• 2 cups cooked pulled pork
• 1 cup cooked diced potatoes
• 1 cup cooked diced lima beans
• 1 cup cooked diced corn kernels
• 1 cup cooked diced okra
• 1 cup diced onion
• 1 cup diced bell pepper (green or red)
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
• 1 can (14 oz) tomato sauce
• 1/2 cup SGT. Hart’s BBQ Sauce
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 cup hot sauce (adjust to your spice preference)
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Optional garnishes: chopped fresh parsley or green onions
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the diced onions and bell peppers and sauté until they become translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the minced garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and chicken broth. Mix well to combine.
4. Add the shredded chicken, pulled pork, diced potatoes, lima beans, corn, and okra to the pot. Stir everything together.
5. Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste. If you like it spicy, you can add more hot sauce at this point.
6. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 1 to 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the flavors meld together. If the stew gets too thick, you can add more chicken broth to achieve your desired consistency.
7. Taste the stew and adjust the seasonings as needed, adding more salt, pepper, or hot sauce if desired.
8. Once the stew is ready, remove it from heat and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
9. Serve your Traditional Brunswick Stew in bowls, garnished with chopped fresh parsley or green onions if desired. It pairs well with cornbread or crusty bread.
This comforting Brunswick Stew is a perfect meal for gatherings or cold evenings, bringing together a medley of flavors from the American South. Enjoy!